Tuesday 28 January 2014

Vintage style left overs - the art of potting

In the current issue 11 of Pretty Nostalgic I have written a feature on the Art of Potting, this was totally fascinating to research and has now given me a new hobby and love of leftovers which I can process into yummy potted goodies.

At the weekend we had a roast shoulder of lamb.  A beautiful piece of lamb from Jane and Derek's Kennixton flock of Dorset sheep who live most of the year in our field.

Normally left over meat is put in a sandwich but not anymore - I used the left over lamb, a stray cooked sausage and the remains of the mint sauce to make potted minted lamb

And here is how:-

Ingredients - Left over lamb, cold sausage, mint sauce, Madeira wine, ground mace, cayenne pepper, butter

Mince up your left over meat - I don't have an electric devise so used by trusty 1940s Spong mincer.  My Jack Russell Josie is always present when the mincer is out to polish up the occasional escaped morsel.



I melted about 3 oz of butter and mixed half of it with the minced left over lamb, and mix in the mint sauce, ground mace, Madeira wine cayenne pepper - this has to be done to taste - just keep mushing it together and tasting until you are happy with it.



 I then potted the mixture in one of my lovely Melba Ware egg cup sets.  Push the mixture well down so there are no air pockets and then cover over with the rest of the melted butter.

Keep in the fridge, should keep for a good week - great with toast for supper or for a starter at a dinner party and nobody will ever know it has been made out of the scrappiest leftovers from a Sunday roast.

For more on the history of potting and more recipes, including potted shrimp and cheese then take a look inside issue 11 of Pretty Nostalgic Magazine - you can buy a copy online and it is posted to your door for free - http://prettynostalgic.co.uk/

Do share your creative leftover recipes
Wishing you all happy days from vintage ways

Nicole

1 comment:

  1. Oh I so want to do this! Next time we have a roast no soup! I am on to it but may have to look into an alternative to the Maderia wine. Thanks for this post.x

    ReplyDelete